Dream Chasers Interview with Linda Day




What is your name and where do you live?

My name is Linda Day. I'm from Toronto, Canada and I live in Sarasota, Florida (Between Tampa and Miami)

What is the name of your company or the company you work for?

I work for SRQ Media Group. We produce SRQ magazine, Best of SRQ Local, SRQ Home of the Year, SRQ Hot List, LUX magazine and Access magazine. I am one of the staff editors and writers and my concentration is Arts & Culture, Luxury Homes, Lifestyle and Interior Design.

What inspired you to pick your career?

Hmmm...well, I was writing at 8 years old. Poetry, stories etc. My teachers said I was a great writer and my mother had friends in a band that wanted to turn my poetry into song lyrics. So I guess if it's not too pretentious to say I had a "knack" or "gift" for writing pretty early. But I always wanted to be a nurse (It's actually still a secret dream of mine lol). In high school my teachers encouraged me to be an english teacher. I didn't want to do that. Then I just happened to send a mock article to a local music magazine in Toronto and they liked my work. I started very young and I was catapulted into the "industry" well before it was the "thing" to do. My first interviews were with people like Mary J. Blige, Wu Tang Clan, Missy Elliot, Wyclef Jean, Cypress Hill, Jermaine Dupri etc. It's kind of funny when I think about it because I was a kid, a fan, writing articles about some of my favorite artists. That was in 1997 and I've been making a living as a writer ever since. 

As a woman in your field, what has been your biggest obstacle?

The meat of my career has been in the music/entertainment industry. And no matter how many progressive women there are in the business, its still a male dominated climate. A woman in the entertainment business is always going to be tested. We have to fight for our respect and to be taken seriously. A woman that is even remotely attractive has to deal with the suggestiveness of the business which is highly ego and sex driven. People wanting to have "dinner" meetings etc. That portion of the struggle has always existed. Any woman that says she hasn't dealt with the sexism, the sexual harassment, etc is either oblivious or lying. A lot of women have held their ground and demanded that respect and have been successful. But the mood of that challenge exists. I'm grateful that my work continues to speak for itself. There's no denying what is evidenced in my portfolio. So I let that do the talking for me. 

What has been the proudest moment in your career?

I have two daughters and a son. And I was a single, teen mom. I graduated high school with two toddlers and a newborn. It was supremely important for me to set the right kind of example for my family being that I came from an environment that wasn't the most positive. My proudest career moment is having my daughters see me work hard and despite my challenges say "Mom, I want to be like you..." to have my son tell me how much he respects how hard I work for them and that I'm someone to look up to and that he's proud of me; those moments are my career wins. But I've worked with some fantastic people...Sanaa Lathan, Meagan Good, Martin Lawrence, Michael Clarke Duncan, Chris Tucker, Idris Elba, Phylicia Rashad, Audra McDonald, Denzel Washington, Common, Outkast, James Earl Jones....I mean the list is endless. To have had the opportunity to work with the caliber of professionals I have, that's something I'm very proud of. 

As a journalist, how does it make you feel when people get journalism positions from blogging with no experience?

I went through a short period when I resented it. More so because of how hard it is for writers who have put in so much work to get paid for what they are brilliant at. Writers like Maurice Garland (who is in a good situation now) having to gig it out for years, phenomenal writer and super professional, not being paid what he's worth...then you have a dot com blogger who pops up out of no where and is getting called for exclusives etc when some of us had to bleed for years to solidify those relationships...and they're doing half the work, and we're having to splice our fees...it was tough to adjust to. But I got to a point where I had to be real with myself. I had to remind myself that lanes are created and innovation is the key to evolution. I'm not a superlative scholar, I read literature but I can't quote the greats on the spot and I'm not always the best editor but I'm learning, I'm growing. And if I want my peers to accept and support me as I evolve, than I have to afford them that same grace. I just hope that anyone who picks this path is committed to educating themselves on proper practice so that we can maintain the integrity of the craft. 

Where do you see your career in 5 years?

As an editor, I'm not sure. I'm just enjoying the opportunity I have and I'm living in and loving the moment. As a writer, I hope to become an author someday. But I'm in no hurry. As a professional, my goal is to become more visible. I am, by societies standard, a statistic. I'm not supposed to be where I am. Its critical for me to pay my life forward because there's a young girl somewhere who is staring at her life and thinking she's not qualified. I have to tell her that she CAN, that she IS qualified. My career HAS to develop into a mission statement of hope.

What does being a woman mean to you?

Man. When I think of what a woman represents in the scope of the universe that God created, we are everything. The fact that we are so strong, that we carry life...it means everything to me. Being a woman, for me, is this beautiful love story written by God Himself and He's picked me as the leading role. Being a woman is art, it is music, it is brilliance in nirvana. There are so many layers to women and we are so intricately complex; emotionally, physically and spiritually...I take that so seriously. 

What does being a mother mean to you?

Being a mother is the best thing that has ever happened to me. I'm definitely one of those women that was "made" to be a mom. Its a humbling and life altering experience. At conception, I was committed. Being a mother is my first charge in life. It humbles me that I've been given this title. So much of who I am is connected to motherhood. But I also try to be sensitive with the words I choose because there are beautiful and wonderful women who can't have children and that doesn't make them any less. And I think of those women often so I don't take my opportunity to be a mother for granted. But for me, motherhood is the gold thread that weaves my life together.

How have your children inspired you?

In so many ways, my children saved my life. I had a very rough childhood and teenage experience. And without them, I don't know what would have happened to me. Their light inspires me. Their beauty. Their hearts. The way they love inspires me. Watching them grow and knowing I've helped shaped them, contributes to how I value my purpose here. They've taught me how to "stick," how to follow through, how to be strong. They've taught me everything about what love looks like. God seems to love me through them.

What advice would you give your children or anyone wanting to be in your field?

Pick another field! Lol. Actually my daughter is a first year journalism student at the University of Toronto and I'm so proud of her. She's doing very well and her professors say she is a great writer. Advice: Stick to it. When I was in college, one of my teachers told me I wasn't good enough to write professionally. And although her discouraging words were never my motivation, I definitely didn't allow them to stop me. Writing is like muscle development in a sense. It needs exercise. Read, immerse yourself in culture, current events, books...pay attention to the things around you and take time to retreat, to be alone and process all that you've absorbed. Go to workshops, take classes and most importantly, get to know yourself in the most intimate way possible. Its the only way you'll find your voice as a writer. Live in your art. When I'm out, I touch everything. Trees, grass, flowers...I experience heat, I seek to understand the cold. I really hear the birds with my heart, I fellowship with ladybugs. I observe the ants. I commune with the wind and the ocean....I really seek to experience LIFE. When you live inside of life and your art, it allows you to write with a level of truth and conviction because you've been there and you can relate to the experience. And experiences are universal. Then you can appeal to the emotions of your readers, they will either feel like they are one with you or they will be so intrigued by your storytelling. To me, that's what makes a sound writer. 

When you aren't working, what is your favorite thing to do?

Fancy for me that my work is FUN! But otherwise, I live in the keys by the most beautiful beach in the country. I love going to the beach and laying in the powder white sand or standing in the ocean watching the sun set. Shopping in used books stores, antique shops, I love to cook, I love tennis, golf and I love sitting on a patio with the perfect glass of wine with my friends. Horseback riding is another favorite that I want to find more time to do. Those are a few things. 

Just for fun, if you had to be one Disney Princess, which one would you be and why?

I would be Pocahontas. I don't think I'd be a princess at all. Pocahontas was strong and determined, rebelliously free and gentle. She was connected to nature, loved her family. She had purpose and passion. She is certainly the closest mirror of my personality. In fact, eerily similar. And my grandmother was an Apache so I guess that works. Lol.





Regards,
LD

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Copyright MMXIII WatermelonEggrolls. Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.