Ramadan The Month Of Purity and Strenght






Ramadan is the 9th month in the Muslim year where we observe fasting from sunrise to sunset. It is a time of reflecting and a time to cleanse the mind, body and soul.

When I was in high school I was one of the only Muslim kids in my school, so I had to fast alone my freshman year. So the next year I started telling my friends about it and giving them more information on why we fast and the benefit of it. So it started this tradition where my friends would all fast with me, some of them giving up different things for the entire month. The idea is that you not only fast from food, but you fast from sex, curse words, alcohol and anything else that you may do in excess or potentially controls your behavior. While fasting from food your hunger pains allow you to understand the burden that poor have of not being able to eat and it also helpa you gain a better appreciation for your own blessings.

Many people cannot fast from food entirely due to medical conditions, pregnancy, menstrual cycles ect. So feeding the poor everyday, and abstaining from other things are also a way of fasting. 

The idea is to maintain complete self control, you learn to meditate/pray throughout the day when you feel weak, as well as focus your attention on other things. Every Ramadan I become a better and better person.

I challenge everyone to partake in Ramadan with me, even if you are not Muslim. Give up something that you feel is controlling your life, maybe its a type of food, or eating in excess period. Maybe its alcohol or cigarets, weed or having sex with random people that you aren't in a committed relationship with. Use the time from sunrise to sunset to focus on cleaning your mind and soul. Use it as a time to focus on making yourself better and understanding that you should be the only factor in your behavior.

Complete self control is not only something that benefits you it benefits the people around you. I hope that you share this message with the people close to you and are able to create a group of friends who support you and your fast.

Good luck and I pray that at the end of the month we are all in a better place.

Posted in , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Copyright MMXIII WatermelonEggrolls. Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.